Saturday, February 2, 2008

Blue Skies

Today is a new day...

(Click photo for item info.)

I woke up at 7:36am today. My phone rang 6 mins later. My phone only rings that early in the morning if a) there's an emergency or b) My cousin Andy is calling.

Andy is in the Army National Guard. He's like a brother to me. We grew up down the hall from each other and he's only a year and a half younger than I am. He's in a tent in North Carolina right now, awaiting deployment to Afghanistan. He's already been to Iraq.

Talking to him this morning made me want to do something handmade and spectacular. I was thinking maybe "Afghans for Afghans" or items who's entire sale price went to Doctors Without Borders. That's when I remembered...



Doctors Without Borders actually had to pull their medical personnel out of Afghanistan after 5 aid workers were killed there. I don't know if they have returned to the country since then. I will have to do some research.

I used to have penpals who were deployed troops, one of whom was in Afghanistan. He decided to do something for the country upon his return and started Operation Dreamseed. I think it could be fun to donate money to his organization, which gives school supplies to Afghani children.

So while I am worrying about my cousin being safe at war, I will keep myself busy by sending him care packages, donating some money to Operation Dreamseed and knitting something for Afghans For Afghans. Sounds like a plan.

In other news? The sun is out, the rain has gone, and today is a new day. I've already sold a makeup bag! (Sarah, I hope you adore the makeup bag as much as I adore you!) So I'm off to make two more. One for my cousin's wife and another to list.

<3 Always,
--Taina

No comments: