Monday, December 1, 2008

Doctors Without Borders

I try to pick a different organization each month to donate 15% of my Etsy Shop's gross sales to.

This past Friday I met a Sudanese refugee named Wassie. He is incredible, soft-spoken, strong, a survivor. Upon meeting him and listening to his story, I decided that December (in connection with World AIDS Day) should be donated to Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres.

I have donated a couple months to DWB/MSF in the last 12 months but really felt it was necessary to end the year on this note. The Fistula Foundation was a close second, so perhaps in January. I worry that something so blatant might be off-putting to potential buyers.

In case you are wondering what Doctors Without Borders has done in Sudan, here's the link: MSF in Sudan.

I wear an AIDS Awareness ribbon every Dec. 1st. I have lost quite a few family friends due to HIV/AIDS and would love a cure but would settle for economical treatments worldwide. DWB/MSF has done quite a bit of work in countries where many have been suffering from AIDS with no cost-effective treatment. To read more about it click here:


So December in Taina.etsy.com will be dedicated to Doctors Without Borders. Tell everyone you know! =)

<3 Always,
--Taina

No comments: