Sunday, November 30, 2008

Heart To Heart

I just threw down ::gasp!:: $110 for a portable GPS system for my dad for Christmas. It's all he wants, he expected to buy himself one and I had to tell him to trust me and not buy one for himself, which sucks because I really really wanted it to be a surprise. I'm hoping he forgets over the next month or at least feigns shock.

If you know my dad, please please don't say anything to him! Pretty please? I bought him the Magellan 3250, refurbished from TigerDirect.com. It was $89.99 plus a $17.99 extended warranty and $1.99 shipping. Egads! I always question myself repeatedly when I spend that kind of money on something. Looks like I will be eating whatever is in my cupboards until I get paid on Thursday.

I bet you are wondering what this post has to do with "My Handmade Life". I am getting there... =)

I just listed my new item for today, not a minute too soon, as there's only 5 mins left of "today".


(Click photo for more info!)

The fabric I used is called "Heart To Heart" which I thought was a great name and fun colorful pattern for baby shoes. My hope is that I can post at least an item a day through December, hopefully generate more sales and be able to sponsor more underpriviledged children through "Operation Santa" this year. Last year I sponsored 8 letters from children and parents, 11 children in total and it felt AMAZING. I really hope to sponsor 12 children's letters this year.

So many of these kids write just asking for a winter coat or new shoes because their single parent has no money for them. It's heartbreaking but heartwarming to know I can help. Last year I had a letter from a single unemployed father who couldn't afford warm clothes for his 3 young daughters. It was fun buying coats, gloves, scarves and toys for them and knowing I was making a difference.

So here's to hoping I sell more items! Tomorrow before work I hope to finish a pillow out of new fabric, photograph it and list it.

<3 Always,
--Taina

2 comments:

TheSeaWithin said...

I never heard of Operation Santa. That sounds like a great thing to do!

I love all your little shoes! I hope you sell lots!

Taina said...

They probably have Operation Santa in the Bay Area. It's so much fun. It can be emotional, I read through hundreds of letters in order to pick a handful. I actually wrote you a letter about it today.

Thanks for the good wishes! =)