Monday, June 30, 2008

Vejigantes (Inspiration Part II)

I don't know if I've mentioned this before...I was named after the "Taino" indians of Puerto Rico. They were a pre-Columbian tribe killed off by slavery and disease once the Spanish came. All that's left is the cave carvings and stone artifacts.

My mother is Puerto Rican, my father is Caucasian. I think my being drawn to the bright and bold prints in the fabric I choose is probably influenced by my month-long stay in Puerto Rico in 1996. Twelve years ago, and I can still envision the crystal turquoise waters of the Caribbean, the neon fish, the boldly painted houses...

I have been thinking about my Puerto Rican family a lot lately. Starting with attending the Puerto Rican Parade here in NYC earlier this month. My great aunt on my mother's side "Tia Fina" passed away last week.

As I've been battling anxiety and depression for months now, I cannot get the image of the vejigantes from the parade out of my mind.



A vejigante (pronounced "bay-hee-gahn-teh") is a horned character meant to scare away evil spirits.

And I want to paint them! I've been wanting to paint a series of vejigantes for a month now.

I have another etsy username: MiVidaLoca.etsy.com that I took in case I wanted to do only hispanic-themed items. I never set up shop, but it's there in case I want to set it up. Mi Vida Loca means "My Crazy Life". Which I think is perfect if I am making vejigantes to ward off evil spirits (like depression and anxiety).

My mom makes these great little mask pins and I've been dying to get her to make some for Etsy. I wonder if she'd be interested in this idea.

I wonder if anyone would want a vejigante pin, painting or fridge magnet. hrmmm... I looked them up and didn't find anything already on Etsy. If I can make a pillow today and post it, then I will reward myself by going to the store and buying canvas and some paints.

Love Always,
--Taina

No comments: